The City of Fairborn requires a permit for many improvements, such as the construction of fences, sheds, detached garages, additions to homes, as well as decks, patios and patio covers to name a few. Many of these permits are obtained through the Building Inspection Division. Others, like driveway approaches and work in the public right-of-way, are coordinated through the City's Engineering Division.
The permit ensures the construction complies with all applicable zoning and building codes. For some projects, individuals should consult with a contractor and/or architect depending on the difficulty of the project.
All work authorized by a permit will require an inspection by the Building Inspection Division.
When a Permit is Required
It is important to keep in mind that many, but not all, projects require a permit from the City of Fairborn. Please review the Chart of Permit Requirements for Common Projects (PDF).
Submission of Drawings
For new residential buildings, residential additions, residential garages, patio enclosures, decks, and shed/accessory buildings, the application for construction requires two complete sets of plans. The plans must be drawn to scale. The plans should include the following information:
- Electrical system layout
- Exterior elevations and orientation (north, south, east, west)
- Floor plans
- Foundation plans
- Gas piping layout
- Insulation information
- Mechanical system layout
- Site plans (showing the lot dimensions, drainage path, size and location of existing and proposed structures and all easements)
- Structural Information (trusses, joists, rafter sizes, beams)
- Wall sections
Plan review typically takes 10 to 15 business days. Unusually complex projects or incomplete applications may require significantly longer plan review.
Application Forms and Fees
- Building and Zoning Permit Application (PDF)
- Business Occupancy Permit Application (PDF)
- Electrical Permit Application (PDF)
- Fire Protection System Permit Application (PDF)
- Gas Piping Permit Application (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Mechanical Permit Application (PDF)
- Fence and Shed Application
- Building Permit Fee Table (PDF)
- Building Valuation Table (PDF)
- Calculating Commercial Building Permit Fees (PDF)
- Calculating Residential Building Permit Fees (PDF)
- Zoning Permit Fees (PDF)