The Neighborhood Betterment Division provides Fair Housing and Landlord/Tenant advocacy for Fairborn residents, upon request.
Fair housing is an absolute right in this country. The Federal Fair Housing Act (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968) prohibits discrimination in housing based on race/color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status and disability. Any kind of differential treatment based on the home seeker's protected group is prohibited and the following must be made without regard of those protections:
- Refuse to negotiate for, rent, or sell housing
- Make housing unavailable
- Deny a dwelling
- Set different terms, conditions, or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
- Provide different housing services of facilities
- Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale or rental
- For profit, persuade or attempt to influence owners to sell or rent (called blockbusing)
- Deny anyone access or membership in a facility or service related to the sale or rental of housing that includes brokerage and multiple listing services
The Ohio Revised Code (ORC) Chapter 5321 explains the rights and responsibilities of "residential" tenants and landlords.
A landlord is person or company that owns a rental unit. The landlord rents or leases the rental unit to another person, called a tenant. The tenant alone gets the right to use and possession of the rental unit during the lease or rental period.
A rental unit is an apartment, duplex, house, condominium or room that a landlord rents to a tenant to live in.
Fair Housing and Landlord/Tenant seminars are conducted in the City and education materials are distributed to various human service agencies, Fairborn Public Library, Fairborn Senior Center, Fairborn Government Center, apartment complexes, and Fairborn schools. City staff also conducts preliminary investigations of housing discrimination and assist with filing formal discrimination complaints through the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The City of Fairborn creates a number of informational pieces to assist residents with housing-related issues:
- Children and Housing
- Fair Housing: It's Your Right
- Fair Housing and Disabilities
- Wear and Tear vs Damage
- Tenants and Landlords: Rights and Responsibilities
Development Services Assistant Director
Fair Housing Advocate